We’ve been asked a lot by people we share with, “How long will you be gone?” My first response is usually, “Well, the minimum commitment is 3 years. But, we’ll probably be gone longer.” That’s probably accurate. Lately, though, I can’t escape the thought that this isn’t a trip or a phase of life we are going into. This is life! Our calling is to serve others, enable our brothers and sisters in Christ and to bring glory to our Savior. How long will we be in Cyprus? I don’t know the answer to that. How long will we be serving Him? Let’s put it this way. . .the testimony that comes to mind when I think of that is that of Rick Warren’s dad. This man died saying, “Save one more for Jesus, save one more for Jesus.” Here’s a quote about his book, A Purpose Driven Life and his dad’s life,
. . . his ministry was inspired by a scene at the deathbed of his father, a tremendously driven Baptist minister who had launched 150 churches across the world. As Warren’s dad seemed about to succumb, he shot up and struggled to get out of bed, repeating, “Got to save one more for Jesus!” nearly a hundred times; in his dying hour, he turned it into a directive to his son: “Save one more for Jesus!”
There is a battle for souls going on across this planet. I think we underestimate this. Our calling is to introduce our future brothers and sisters to the King. I’m hopeful that we will be doing this for the rest of our lives. Three years seems too small a term to serve.
I had promised to give you a recap of the last year. Well, God has been faithful as always. We asked many things and He has answered. Here are a few:
- Found CTEN our sending agency (Jack and Carol are our awesome pastoral couple…thanks guys!)
- Gained an understanding of the people we are called to serve
- He has placed a passion in our hearts for these people
- He has begun to give us a clearer vision of our roles in ministry
- We have come into relationship with many people who are passionate about the lost
- Our mailing list is now over 130 (good for the postman, good for ministry)
- Over $1500 monthly support
- Over 50% of our relocation costs have been provided
- Learned of God’s love for the nations through Perspectives
- Had contact with local Cyprus ministries to serve as laypeople in
- He has sustained our energy through many long days and weeks
There is much more that we could say. Mostly we need to say, “Praise Him from whom all blessings flow!” Join us in that. Thank you to those who are praying, encouraging and supporting us. We praise Him for you too.